Fasting: How It Can Improve Your Health
Fasting could positively change your general health and wellbeing. Are you facing health challenges and need to get your life back on track. Your health issues could significantly improve with fasting! I will show you how fasting helps you live a healthy life. Read on:
Improves Your Health
Fasting means abstaining from food or drink for some hours within the day. The commonest form of fast occurs when you abstain from eating between pre-dawn to sunset.
How Fasting Affects Your Body
After taking a pre-dawn meal to start your fast your body does the following:
The nutrients in the pre-dawn meal are taken up and used by your body as a source of energy for the next eight hours.
After the nutrients are completely used up your body starts using stored nutrients as the main source of energy. These include glucose and fat which have been stored in the liver and muscle. Stored glucose is used up first then fat. The stored nutrients are replenished while you eat in the evening.
Health Benefits of Fasting
- The transition between the use of the stored source of energy (nutrients) and that absorbed from the food you eat helps. You lose a significant amount of weight because the nutrients you stored in your body are being put to use. The level of cholesterol in your blood also reduces and your blood pressure comes down. These are very important in improving your health generally and protecting you from serious heart problems. If you are suffering from diabetes you could experience better control of your blood sugar. This is due to weight loss and lowering of cholesterol.
- It also leads to detoxification of your body because toxins stored in your body’s fat are dissolved and removed from the body.
- After fasting for a few days you may experience a feeling of wellbeing and a clear mind. This is related to the increase in the level of a hormone (endorphins) in your blood which brings these feelings.
- It could also make your immune system stronger and help you fight diseases easily. This is because it causes the growth of new immune cells and removes the old ones from the body.
Other Health Benefits of Fasting
- Helps you change to a healthy lifestyle.
- You can develop self-discipline due to the effects of fasting.
- It helps you to quit smoking cigarette.
(I am excited to present to you this awesome collection of health and beauty products which I personally recommend because of their value in improving your health in general).
Image Source: Pixabay
Masroor, A. (ed)(2007) Ramadan Health Guide: A guide to healthy fasting. CIA. London. UK.
Papadakis, M. A. & McPhee, S. J. (2017). Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment. 53. McGraw –Hill. USA
Whiteman, H. (2015) ‘Fasting: health benefits and risks’.